Just hardware

Generel lydteknik og hardware, bl.a. mikrofoner, monitors, hardware synths og effekter.
Nyt svar
Default avatar
franco143
Medlem
Sted: Copenhagen

Just hardware

Indlæg af franco143 »

Hello everyone.
I would like to try a new workflow using just hardware gear with no computer. Up until now ive been completely in the box so hardware is an unknown territory for me.
I have a digitakt, kawai k1, tempest, a flute, dpa mic and prism lyra 1 with two in two out and a pair of monitors.
What recommendations could you give for recording platforms to capture experimentations and jams? I'd like the option to be able to record each instrument on seperate tracks.
I'm guessing that this recording platform will be what my individual hardware devices plug into, from which a stereo out will feed into the prism lyra and from the prism out to the monitors....yes?
Thank you,
Ross

Medlemsavatar
Joachip
Forum Donator
Sted: Vesterbro

Indlæg af Joachip »

I can totally see why entirely ditching the computer can be tempting - considering the never-ending update hell, virus threats and what not. And for the production part it's certainly possible. But when it comes to multi-track recording the result, factors like budget, physical space and hardware maintanence should be considered.

You could go old-school by using a multi-track tape recorder, but for the quality to be proper, you'd probably have to obtain a rather large and expensive tape machine.

Historically the next step was digital multi-track harddisk recorders and/or ADAT machines. These devices are probably less expensive by now than they were back then, but I wouldn't expect too much from the quality of the digital converters of typical 90s devices.

The third option, IMHO, would be to use a computer with a soundcard that has multiple inputs. Or perhaps even a soundcard with multiple inputs AND outputs, and then do the mix using a hardware mixer, if you also want to minimize the role of computers in the mix phase.
Jeg laver også gratis plugins: www.robotplanet.dk/audio_plugins

Medlemsavatar
DUBTEMPLE
Forum Donator
Sted: DK/SE

Indlæg af DUBTEMPLE »

If a simple multi-track recorder could be pured out on the linux platform I would consider that, RME got drivers, and I guess Reaper runs on linux, but not sure ?

I dont know what other software there is for linux ?

Linux should be able to self-maintain with no rip off and trouble with new authorisation when hardware is replaced etc etc

Both reals and adats need much maintainance, and parts might end up short

I had fostex model 80, I sure dont miss it ;-)
/Dub

Medlemsavatar
DUBTEMPLE
Forum Donator
Sted: DK/SE

Indlæg af DUBTEMPLE »

There is ready made hd-recording devices also still available in diverse sizes and forms I guess
/Dub

Medlemsavatar
SustainerPlayer
Medlem
Sted: På kanten

Indlæg af SustainerPlayer »

Medlemsavatar
mik_c
Medlem
Sted: Vesterbro

Indlæg af mik_c »

https://www.dba.dk/mixer-roland-vs-2480/id-1046069754/

Big ass harddisk recorder with enough inputs and all that jazz.. and motorized faders that the tascam sugested does not have .. and at a third of the price... but yer i would also just get a soundcard and mix on the computer to be honest.. BUT if that is a big no no then i dont see any problem in something like the roland VS series or the yamaha AW series harddisk recorders used ..

Nyt svar